By McKinley Noble | 01-03-2013 | 8:15AM
Any Hollywood rumors about the upcoming Justice League movie have to be taken with a grain of salt, but that's not going to stop the film industry press from speculating about anything they get their hands on.
That's why no one is quite sure what to make of the latest spin from Cosmic Book News, who claims to have an inside source from DC Comics feeding them information about the movie.
According to the site's own rumor mill, they've revealed the presence and theme of several characters, including the likes of The Flash and Wonder Woman.
However, the website doesn't have any sort of track record with major Hollywood rumors, so it's very possible that their information could be coming completely out of left field from a non-source. Either way, here's their breakdown of the film's supposedly-confirmed characters:
- Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel, and Zack Snyder is consulting regarding the writing of the character.
- Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn’t really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.
- Wonder Woman: She has only been in man’s world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.
- Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold’s character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone.
- Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.
- Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.
- Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis who has a key role in the film.
- Further, the site goes on to point out that a number of other, less-notable characters could also appear in the film:
- There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) of which neither are included in the first draft.
- Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.
- Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.
- Darkseid’s Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.
As skeptical as we can be about these rumors, Screen Rant seems to have the best scope on the situation here, as they point out that the rumors listed above all come with their own set of continuity issues.
Still, DC Comics has a bit of time to piece everything together, even though they haven't had the foresight to clearly establish a set timeline within their films like Marvel did with The Avengers.
Regardless, Justice League is expected to debut in the summer of 2015, so we won't have to wait for too long to see how accurate the rumors are. At any rate, the character roster will have to be revealed by Warner Bros. and DC Comics first, and the inclusion of main villain Darkseid seems like the most legitimate news so far.